Our piggy hopes were dashed last weekend when we discovered that a.) The breeder we are buying our Gloucestershire Old Spot weaners from hadn’t obtained the licence he needed in order to move them and b.) James are I were hideously behind with Project Fence! So, after the initial disappointment at realising we wouldn’t be picking up our porcine charges on Saturday as planned, we instead threw ourselves into clearing more of the land and collecting the stakes, stock fencing and staples necessary for the job.
The reason we hadn’t made more progress with marking the boundary was that we’d been talked into not only putting in the stick electric fencing – the ease of which was the whole reason we decided we had time to start pigkeeping now rather than next year – but also the more hardcore stock fencing. This requires clearing the (numerous) weeds, levelling the ground, measuring and some serious muscle!
Despite preparing the site and getting the gate, all the corner posts and strainers in over the weekend, which took a remarkably long time, on Sunday as dusk fell and we could no longer see to carry on, we realised if we were to collect our pigs this weekend we needed to buy ourselves some extra time.
So with no meetings in the diary at work, on Tuesday afternoon we both came home to carry on. It was a beautifully sunny, warm few hours and we managed to get all the posts in by dark, leaving us just the actual stock wire to tack on tomorrow before driving over to Roger’s and choosing our pair of porkers this Sunday. Finally!